Church Project, WorcestershireHistorical
This beautiful Grade 1 listed church set in a beautiful Cotswold stone village dates back to circa 1040, when the massive double row of stone columns was erected. The chancel is an excellent small scale Early English example: vaulted roof and delicate tracery, carved bosses and capitals and elegant lancet windows. In the 14th century north and south aisles were added, the roof of the nave raised and the clerestory windows above the columns enclosed inside the building. The pulpit is likely to have been made from the rood screen panels once dividing the body of the church from the choir and chancel and the font is Norman with carved stone panels.
The design brief was to greatly improve the functional lighting levels to the congregation, whilst sympathetically articulating a selection of architectural elements for visitors to enjoy. Through various lighting trials and close collaboration with the project team, a highly successful scheme using energy efficient 2700k LED sources has been skilfully implemented, controlled by a Rako control system, using under 1200w of energy.
Our Client was extremely pleased with the finished project, as can be seen by this wonderful testimonial provided by the Church Warden:
“The Overbury Church lighting scheme brilliantly created by dpa lighting consultants and so sensitively installed by Hampton Electrical, has transformed our already beautiful Grade 1 ancient building. Arches and hitherto unnoticed architectural features have been immeasurably enhanced and being able to use different “settings” means that we are now able to promote the building for lots of secular events in addition to church services. We could not be more delighted.”
Installing Contractor: Andy Nott, Hampton Electrical Systems Ltd
Electrical Consultant: Ian Cramp, DAC Lighting and Electrics Adviser
Photography: dpa lighting consultants